Blog 9 April 2015 Why Do Men (and women) Cheat?
It has been my experience that there is more than just one reason why men cheat.
Cheating is always a symptom of a bigger relationship issue.
The most common reasons I hear from men as to why they cheat are:
- “She won’t do the things I want to do.”
- “I want sex more than she does.”
- “She is too busy and gets too tired at the end of the day.
- “I am bored with her.”
- “I just want to do what I want to do.”
- “Men are supposed to spread their seed around. They are not supposed to be monogamous.” (Yes, I have actually heard that one several times. And believe it or not, there is factual evolutionary proof for that).
- “I have a feeling she is cheating on me so I am doing it to her.”
- “She keeps accusing me of cheating so I might as well do it.”
Please keep in mind that I have heard these rationalizations from women as well.
Can these relationships be saved? Yes, it can as long as both partners are willing to do whatever it takes. Rebuilding trust can take 3-6 months. It cannot be rushed!
I can gently guide you with small, yet deliberate steps towards the recovery process. Rebuilding trust can be accomplished.
I can help you strengthen the TWO MOST IMPORTANT skills to ensure a healthy and enduring relationship.
Call me. Let’s chat.
Laurie Shoats LMFT